Pages

Thursday, September 4, 2014

Haute Route Pyrenees: Stage 4

Today was the big stage.   Only 118 km but more than 3600m of climbing.  We made three iconic climbs:

Col de Peyresourde, 1569m altitude, 900m of altitude gain over 15km
Col de Hourquette d’Ancizan, 1564m altitude, 700m of altitude gain over 11km
Col du Tourmalet, 2117m altitude, 1270m of altitude gain over 17km


Here is the Profile:

Lining up at the start:

A selfie from the first climb.  It's actually pretty hard to take a selfie while riding and I always have my mouth open 'cause I'm gasping for air!


A view from the road.


These signs appear every kilometer and let one know how steep the next section is and how far to the summit.  Not sure if this is encouraging or discouraging!


A view back into the valley we came from.


A couple of guys stopped to get some photos and chat with the road crew.  I didn't stop so I wouldn't lose time!


A view from one of our rest stops.


A selfie taken about 2.5km from the summit of Tourmalet.


A view up the road from the same spot.


Made it to the top of Tourmalet!




Yours truly in front of the iconic statue at the top of Tourmalet.




There is no Strava file today as my Garmin battery died about 1/3 of the way into the ride. I'm sure the power file was epic!

No comments:

Post a Comment